WSFM’s main frequency is 101.7 MHz on the FM band, with two repeaters in the outer suburbs of Sydney: 88.3 MHz in the Macarthur region, and 99.1 MHz centred in the Richmond/Hawkesbury region. It previously transmitted on 1224 kHz on the AM band; this frequency is now used by print-handicapped radio station 2RPH.
Liverpoool Broadcasting and Transmitting Co Pty Ltd was granted an AM radio license in the late 1970s, specifically to serve the Western Suburbs of Sydney. 2WS began broadcasting on 23 November 1978 from temporary studios in a relocated cottage at 2 Leabons Lane, Seven Hills with a 5 kW transmitter located at nearby Prospect. The studios subsequently moved, in October 1979, into a purpose built complex behind the old cottage in Leabons Lane. The original building was demolished, with the material donated to charity.
In the early 90’s the station was granted an FM licence covering the full Sydney metropolitan area. Its new transmitter site was located at Artarmon, in northern Sydney. The official callsign was changed to 2UUS (using a literal ‘double-U’ to compensate for the extra letter required), although the station still identified as 2WS until 2001, when they changed their on-air name to WSFM.